Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nook Color

Who thought the first real challenger to the Ipad would come out of the dark. The nook color as quietly been taking the USA by storm. Nearly 3 million units sold by some news stories. I've got a Kindle and my son has the Nook color and they are very different experiences. I've tried to like e-ink and it great in direct sunlight but I want to read a book before I fall asleep in bed and e-ink on my poor old far sighted. E-ink has those led lights but they don't seem to help my eyes. The LCD display is great on the nook and the resolution reminds me of the iphone 4 retina display. Whats even nicer is that the NOOK is very hackable. Honeycomb hacks are available on the net turning the nook into a slow but very usable tablet. Nook default latest release has flash and a few apps. A simple rooted nook can access the android market and alot of applications work. A list of working apps can be found online a nook dev. Amazon is rumored to working with samsung on a stripped/locked down galaxy tab to be branded as a Kindle Tablet. Apple sued Samsung recently I wonder why, a Kindle tablet could seriously attack their Ipad sales, the nook may be hurting their sales already. One problem for the nook color is battery life but I can live with that.

No comments: